Schoolcraft program code #AAS.00281
Diagnostic Medical Sonography (DMS) is a branch of diagnostic medical imaging. DMS, also called ultrasonography or sonography, is a diagnostic medical procedure that uses high frequency sound waves (ultrasound) to produce dynamic visual images of organs, tissues, or blood flow inside the body. Sonography is a radiation-free imaging modality.
The Diagnostic Medical Sonography program (DMS) provides the knowledge that will enable students to enter the workforce as entry-level sonographers. The program includes didactic, directed hands-on laboratory and professionally supervised clinical training in general sonography (defined as abdomen, obstetric, gynecologic, superficial organs, and other appropriate areas).
Educational facilities located within Schoolcraft College include state-of-art classroom and clinical resources designated to promote an exceptional educational experience. Students that satisfactorily complete this 24-month program will earn an associate degree in applied science from Schoolcraft College. Upon completion of the program graduates sit for the American Registry in Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ARDMS) exam. Successful passing of this exam results in being certified as a Registered Diagnostic Medical Sonographer (RDMS).
The mission of the Schoolcraft College Diagnostic Medical Sonography program is to serve the community by providing an educational setting where students will receive the essential foundation for a career in diagnostic medical sonography science. Graduates will exemplify qualities of excellence in patient care, professionalism, safety, and ethical behavior thereby enhancing the healthcare experience of the patients we serve.
- To prepare competent entry-level general sonographers in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and affective (behavior) learning domains.
- Offer an educational experience that promotes effective communication skills, critical thinking abilities, and professionalism.
- Provide an educational program that enhances career opportunities and encourages a desire for lifelong learning.
- Develop Diagnostic Medical Sonographers that function as a compassionate and competent part of the healthcare team and represent the commitment to excellence that Schoolcraft College strives to achieve.
- Prepare the students to take and pass the ARDMS examination in Ultrasound Physics and Instrumentation, Abdomen, Obstetrics & Gynecology, and Musculoskeletal sonography.
This program requires a special admissions process. Contact the Admissions and Welcome Center at 734-462-4426/ firstname.lastname@example.org or the Advising Department at 734-462-4429 (option 4)/email@example.com to complete an application.
Students who satisfactorily complete the program requirements with a minimum of a 3.0 grade in each DMS, Mathematics, Biology and Physics class will qualify for an associate in applied science degree.
Not all courses are offered each semester. Students should work with an academic advisor to develop a schedule that will work for them. Students planning to transfer should check the transfer institution’s requirements/guides or discuss their options with an academic advisor. Number of total program credits may vary depending on course selection.