Aug 19, 2022
MA 196 - Office Practicum
Lecture Contact Hours: 1
Off Site Contact Hours Without Faculty: 12
Description: The student will participate in a 180-hour non-paid externship under the direction of a physician and/or the office manager or supervisor. The externship is structured to provide experience in performing administrative and clinical procedures in a physician office, clinic or ambulatory healthcare setting. The student will interact with other healthcare professionals performing and observing skills of a medical assistant. It is an opportunity that will allow a student to apply theory to practice.
Prerequisites: HIT 114 with a minimum grade of 2.0. MA 155 with a minimum grade of 2.0. MA 175 with a minimum grade of 2.0. MA 180 with a minimum grade of 2.0. All students must complete the following prior to registering: background check, drug screen, physical and immunizations.
Course Category: Occupational
This Course is Typically Offered: Fall, Winter
Check Course Availability
- Explain the skills of the general, clinical and administrative aspects of medical assisting.
- Assess the activities performed and observed while at the practicum site.
- Research job opportunities for medical assistants.
- Develop a resume and cover letter.
- Compile a medical office procedure manual.
- Complete the application for the Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) examination.
- Develop a preparation plan for the Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) examination.
- Complete a mock Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) examination.
- Apply legal implications.
Add to My Catalog (opens a new window)