If you are interested in learning more about computer basics or technology or preparing for a career in an emerging technology field, Schoolcraft’s Computer Information Systems programs have what you need. We offer four associate of applied science degrees and eight certificates that will help you enhance your skills and prepare for a career in computer systems support, networking, cybersecurity, or programming. Explore the diagram of our educational options below to chart your path:
- Information Technology Foundation Skills Certificate: This certificate program is designed for students who are new to computers and information technology looking to become more knowledgeable before choosing a specific path to pursue in the field. Students at any level of computer familiarity will gain fundamental computer knowledge and skills before having the opportunity to choose courses providing a path forward into several certificate and degree programs.
- Cisco and Network Technology Skills Certificate: This certificate program is designed to provide students with a focused understanding of network fundamentals and relevant industry skills, while working with network equipment and the latest networking technologies in preparation to achieve the Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) and other industry certifications.
- Networking Specialist Certificate: This certificate provides students with an understanding of network fundamentals and technologies necessary to support networks and network technologies in the demanding information technology field. Students will gain proficiency working with network equipment such as routers and switches, servers and modern operating systems, and explore advanced topics such as cloud technology and cybersecurity. For students looking to jump-start their current IT career, several industry certifications are covered and include Network+, Security+, Cloud+, Linux+, CCNA.
- Networking Specialist AAS Degree: Networks form the basis of nearly all of the technologies used in the field of information technology. This program prepares students for an entry-level position in network support where one is expected to not only master networking technologies, but understand how they integrate with and support business operations. Students will gain proficiency working with network equipment such as routers and switches, servers and modern operating systems, and explore advanced topics such as cloud technology and cybersecurity. This program also covers several industry certifications important to starting a networking career including Network+, Security+, Cloud+, Linux+, and CCNA.
Computer Systems Support
- Computer Systems Support Certificate: This certificate program provides students with the fundamental knowledge and skills required for an entry-level role in the rapidly evolving field of information technology. Students will learn basics of computer hardware, software and user support, as well as explore advanced areas of networking and cybersecurity vital to today’s organizations. This program also covers several industry certifications important to starting a career in information technology including: A+, Networking+, (and others depending on chosen electives).
- Computer Systems Support AAS Degree: In a world dominated by cloud networking and data breaches, supporting computer systems and users is more challenging than ever before. This degree program prepares students for entry-level positions in information technology support where a wide range of technical skills and knowledge are not only requested by employers, but required. Students will learn how to support the latest computer hardware and software technologies, support users in a business environment and explore the wider field of IT including networking and cybersecurity. This program also covers several industry certifications important to starting a career in information technology including: A+, Networking+, (and others such as Security+ or Cisco certification depending on chosen electives).
- Cybersecurity Certificate: This certificate provides students with a firm foundation of technologies and knowledge required to enter the exciting cybersecurity field. Students will gain proficiency with network equipment, operating systems, security software, as well as skills necessary for configuring and analyzing secure systems. This program also covers several industry certifications including Security+, Linux+, Cisco certification, and Microsoft Windows Server.
- Cybersecurity AAS Degree: Cybersecurity is becoming increasingly important as more organizations seek to protect their networks, software, and information from potential threats. This program is designed for students who plan to enter this rapidly advancing field and provides a firm foundation of technical skills and knowledge required to thrive in modern business environments. Students will gain proficiency with network equipment, operating systems, security software, as well as skills necessary for configuring and analyzing secure systems. Several industry certifications are covered, including Security+, Linux+, Cisco certification, and Microsoft Windows Server.
- Application Developer Skills Certificate: This certificate program is designed to introduce students to the top computer programming languages used in software development and web applications. Students will also learn how to use the Microsoft.NET framework, which is the common environment for building, deploying and running web services and applications in Windows. In addition, the new Visual Studio.NET will be used, a common development environment for the new .NET framework.
- Programming Certificate: This certificate program introduces students to the operating system, concepts of programming logic, programming language and software applications. During or after the first year of this certificate program, students may choose to earn one of the computer information system associate degrees, providing all degree requirements are fulfilled.
- Programming AAS Degree: This degree offers students a schedule of core computer courses and electives to prepare them for a position as an entry- level programmer. Students will learn how a computer programmer analyzes problems and writes step-by-step instructions to enable a computer system to process data efficiently.
- Post-Associate Certificate: Designed for working professionals who have earned an associate degree in applied science and have experience and/ or training in the computer field, it provides insight into the latest computer technology and will enhance their ability to meet the needs of the fast-changing computer information systems environment.
Students who possess current external certification in any of the following should contact OccupationalPrograms@schoolcraft.edu to determine if they are eligible to earn Schoolcraft College credit: CompTIA Network+, CompTIA Security+, CompTIA A+, CompTIA Cloud+, Cisco Certified Entry Network Technician (CCENT), Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA), Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) Cyber Ops certification, or Cisco Certified CyberOps Associate.